Friday, August 07, 2009

NEW LINUX MINT..!!

ATI problems Killed OpenSuSE. Well, I couldn’t stop at “Sorry Guise! Had a #Fail and not going to try out anything more until tomorrow!” I planned out what I was going to do, and set my sights for Linux Mint.

Linux Mint is a Ubuntu-Based linux distro, Ranking higher and higher in popularity online by Linux users. (It was even suggested to me as a reply to one of my last blog posts!) So, why not give it a go?

linuxmint7

Linux Mint Impressed me. It’s not just the average Ubuntu distro. There were three main things about Mint that I believe tops Ubuntu.

The Theme:

I’m not a big fan of green. But Mint’s Black + Grayscale + Green look is great. It looks much better than Ubuntu’s human theme, and that makes it much more pleasant to use.

The Menu:

The menu is a Sort-Of Novell-ish start menu, but done much cleaner and easier to navigate. Set places and System down the left-hand side, Most used applications and presets down the right. Even better was the very impressive search filter, which in real-time searched for whatever you typed in, in an almost spotlight way.

I’m not usually a fan of all-in-one menus, but Mint’s does it in a way that makes it easy to use and easy to find what you want without any headaches.

mintInstall & mintUpdate:

mintInstall and mintUpdate are Linux Mint’s own spin on the Ubuntu updater and Ubuntu Installer. Although not much has changed in the installer; (Except some minor abilities and configurations, and better display of screenshots/caps of the program in work.), mintUpdate is a big improvement on Ubuntu’s Updater. Unlike Ubuntu, mintUpdate not only shows version updates; but the changelog, extra warnings, extra info and prioritizes the updates in groups of numbers for the most important to the least important.

If you’re a user of Ubuntu, and looking for something a little different, I suggest you go to the Linux Mint website and download a Live CD to test it out!

David.
-Blaynos.

No comments:

Post a Comment